The municipal responsibility
According to section 32 of the Waste Act, the municipal waste disposal of non-hazardous waste is to be provided:
- waste from habitual residence, leisure home, dormitory and other housing, including sludge and septic tank wastes;
- municipal waste generated by social, health and education activities;
- municipal waste within the administrative and service activities of the state, municipalities, parishes and other governed by public law, as well as public-law associations, other than those referred to in point 2
- municipal waste generated by commercial premises collected in together with the waste referred to in points 1 to 3
- other municipal waste collected together with the waste referred to in points 1 to 4 in a regional pipe collection or with similar collection system.
In addition, the municipality must arrange for the reception and handling of hazardous waste arising from housing. The reception and handling of hazardous waste arising from agriculture and forestry is the responsibility of the municipality, unless it is a question of an unreasonable amount of waste.
The municipal waste must be handed over to arranged municipal waste management. In Rauma, waste management is organized by Rauman seudun jätehuoltolaitos (Rauma Regional Waste Management Facility).